According to an artcle in the December 8, 2016 issue of the journal Nature, an
LED light that fashes at 40 Hz, which is the frequency of Gamma wave in the
brain, may alleviate the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. Also, a 40 Hz
fashing LED light is said to be an aid to meditaton.
In this artcle, I will describe an easy way to build a 40 Hz fashing LED foor
lamp. About all you need to know is a litle bit about electricity that you probably
learned as a kid, and a litle bit about household wiring, such as how to replace
an electrical outlet in the wall of your home.
The parts you will need
1. A DROK LCD Display Square Wave Generator,
Price on Amazon: $11.20.
2. A DC solid state relay,
Digi-Key part number CC1126-ND. Price on Digi-Key: $20.20.
3. A 12 volt DC power supply, such as this one on Amazon:
Price on Amazon: $13.99.
4. Two 12 volt LED light bulbs, such as this one on Amazon:
Price on Amazon: $15.98.
5. Dual light bulb socket, such as this on Amazon:
Price on Amazon: 6.99.
6. Two to six foot extension cord. Available at a local hardware store.
7. Twist-on wire connectors, such as these on Amazon:
Price on Amazon: $2.07.
8. A standard foor lamp.
9. #22 gauge hook-up wire, such as this on Amazon:
Price on Amazon: $18.95.
10. Soldering iron and solder. Soldering the connectons to the DROK Square Wave Generator is preferable but not absolutely nessesary. If you don’t solder the connectons, strip about V/8ths of an inch of insulaton of the ends of hook-up wires and loop them through the connectng holes in the DROK in twist-tie fashion, and twist tghtly.
Putting it together
1. Connect the negatve wire from the power supply to “VIN –” (the negatve input) on the DROK square wave generator.
NOTE: “VIN -” is internally connected to GND on the output terminal screw #1 (the positve output) on the solid state relay.
2. Cut the extension cord at a convenient length, measured from its socket end.
3. Connect terminal screw #4 (the negatve input) on the solid state relay both to the Neutral (wide slot) side of the extension cord socket AND to GND on the output side of the output side of the DROK square wave generator.
4. Connect the positve wire from the power supply both to “VIN +” (the positve input) on the DROK square wave generator AND to terminal screw #1 (the positve output) on the solid state relay.
5. Connect terminal screw #2 (the positve input) on the solid state relay to PWM on the output side of the DROK square wave generator.
6. Connect terminal screw #2 (the negatve output) on the solid state relay to the HOT (narrow slot) side of the extension cord socket.
7. Turn the foor lamp off, unplug it, and screw the dual light bulb socket into its socket. Screw in the two 12 volt LED light bulbs.
8. Read the instructons that came with the DROK square wave generator.
9. Plug the power supply into the wall and set the DROK to 40Hz and the duty cycle to 50%.
10. Plug the lamp into the socket of the extension cord.
11. Turn the foor lamp on and it should now be fashing at 40 Hz! If you like, you can experiment with other frequencies and duty cycles.